Thursday, September 16, 2010

Facebook Freedom of Speech

First, let me start out by explaining a few things about my personal Facebook experience thus far. When I first started my page, I was amazed at the responses I got from day one to the things I posted on my status. Whether it was a good day or bad day I was having, I knew within a few minutes that my friends were there to love and support me just by their comments. Now, Facebook can be an uplifting thing in a time of need, but there are people out there who try to hold it and your posts against you. There's a few simple ways to deal with them.
Do we need to watch what we say? Well, that's the beauty of it. Personally, I have a lot of fellow Aloette consultants and clients on my Facebook page because of the fact that it makes me (and them) feel like there's almost a closer relationship there and it's nice. Because of that, I do tend to watch the profanity. Anyone who knows me well will tell you that, when I'm really super angry, I tend to pay no attention whatsoever to the language I'm using and I voice my opinion very loudly. That's just who I am. That being said, I do know how to draw the line. There comes a time when being professional and respectful is the right thing to do. Now, I do still tend to vent when something in particular is going wrong in my life or something has really got me fired up. I'm just careful about the exact words I say and I do not mention names as I know it will come back to bite me in the ass. If, however, your Facebook page is meant strictly for personal use and only your close friends and family are connected to you on it, why should you feel the need to hold back? Those people are well aware of the depths to your personality and know what to expect from you, so why shouldn't you be able to "vocalize" your joy or discontentment on your own profile page? Why should it matter to them what you say (unless you use their name)? Those who are offended by your posting and venting when something wrong has been done to you could possibly be showing signs of a guilty conscience.
I had this issue about eight months ago (give or take). I'll just share with you how I handled the situation. Back then, my Facebook was purely personal and there was nothing professional about it. In fact, I'm sure you may even be able to scroll through the thousands of posts back to sometime in January and know exactly what I'm talking about. There were so many things that were effecting me and my life negatively that I needed to vent about it. If I'd have had a blog then, I most definitely would have written about it. I mentioned no names whatsoever, but I knew that I needed support as I felt as though many things in my life were beginning to fall apart in front of me (maybe if I'd known the struggles to come, I would have seen the situation differently, but that's an entirely different blog). Anyway, a few people felt that what I was posting was offensive and, essentially, irresponsible because they believed I was putting too much personal business into the internet world. I received so many messages and calls about my comments on Facebook from these people (including one that was passed through my husband telling him to better "control" his wife) and, I have to be honest, I was infuriated! I did, however, find a way to fix the issue. The process to rectify this sort of dramatic and judging behavior from those kinds of people is hard for some and takes a great deal of time. I like to call it, "Delete"!!!
Seriously, there are so many things in life to worry about so many things that could use our energy and time. Judging others for what they say on Facebook, of all things, is just pathetic, in my personal opinion. Spending all of that time complaining about the fact that someone is upset and telling the world about it when the world probably has no idea that you are the one he/she is mad at to begin with is just a waste! Furthermore, for those of you who sincerely feel that you have to sit there and comment back and forth on your page to argue with those kinds of people about what you post on your Facebook, you need to sort out your priorities! Don't let other people's insecurities get you that messed up! The phrase you're looking for to combat that problem is "FREEDOM OF SPEECH"! If those who are on your page as friends don't like what you say, then simply delete them! Removing them from your Facebook should not be the "permanent life delete button" that it is today! Honestly? Seriously? Just because someone removed you from their Facebook page does not mean they never want to speak to you again! And if it does, honey believe me, there was no room in your life for selfish and childish people like that to begin with! If you honestly have that huge of a problem with someone, vent about it without names if you must, but talk to them about it in person! And don't judge others for what they put on THEIR Facebook page! We all have the right to say what we want whenever and wherever we want (unless, of course, it's something that could lead to someone being phyiscally hurt or permanently effecting their lives and families, which is why I recommend not naming names)! To put it simply, if you don't like the things someone specific posts, don't be friends with them on Facebook! But don't make it a matter of National Security!
Alright, I've done enough bitching on that subject. I have one more for the day that I'll post in a few minutes. I do love you all very much. Let's just do everything we can to be responsible, respectful and supportive no matter what the situation or what others may say.

No comments:

Post a Comment